our Health Index for More Subjects, Conditions and
Age related macular degeneration (ARMD) is an eye disorder that can result in irreversible visual loss and is the commonest cause of blindness. It is a condition in which there is progressive deterioration of the central area of the retina, resulting in gradual sight loss in the center of the field of vision.
The retina is particularly susceptible to oxidation as its need for oxygen is large. It is exposed to high levels of light, and its membranes are rich in readily oxidized (destroyed) polyunsaturated fatty acids.
Macular Degeneration appears to have several carbohydrate-related mechanisms and has risk factors with diabetes-related diseases such as retinopathy and cardiovascular disease. People who smoke cigarettes are several times more likely to develop this eye disorder than non-smokers.
This indicates that a healthy diet over a lifetime with good blood sugar control would reduce the risk of this eye condition.
Avoiding this Problem - Prevent Macular Degeneration
See Eye Health
Using Diet to Treat & Avoiding the Problem
- Physicians are taught that macular degeneration is an inevitable consequence primarily caused by aging and genetics, and has always existed at high prevalence. This, it turns out, is not true
- Projections suggest 196 million people will have macular degeneration by 2020, and it’s expected to increase to 288 million by 2040
- Before 1925, there were no more than about 50 cases of macular degeneration in all of the world’s literature. By 1940, it was becoming slightly more common. By 1975, 8.8% of Americans over the age of 52 had macular degeneration, which was approximately 4.5 million people
- Research by Dr. Chris Knobbe, an ophthalmologist, reveals macular degeneration is a disease primarily induced by a westernized diet
- Knobbe recommends an ancestral diet; you can eat anything you want, provided it’s real food, made from scratch without polyunsaturated vegetable oils or trans fats. Refined white flour or sugar should also be minimized
Once again, sounds like our diet in America at least is creating all sorts of problems.
Read entire article - Diet to Treat
If you would like to receive the
Sign up by clicking here: Newsletter Signup
take privacy and security seriously, read about it
Tips Health Concerns
© 2000-2019 MCVitamins.com
. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of this website in full or in part is prohibited without the express written permission of MCVitamins.com
We have used our best judgment in compiling this information. The Food and Drug Administration may not have evaluated the information presented. Any reference to a specific product is for your information only and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease